Few Bloggers of Bangalore were invited to the MPOC event, (Malaysian Palm oil Council). The Palm oil has been in radar since long about its nature, is it harmful when consumed, or harmful to the environment when cultivated.. to the wild life and other various factors.
MPOC event’s main objective was to educate about the reality circulating around the usage of oil in our daily lives, be it consumption or otherwise.
What is Palm Oil?
- Palm Oil comes from the flesh of the fruit and is physically and chemically different from the Palm Kernel Oil.
- Palm Kernel Oil comes from the seed or kernel at the core of the palm fruit.
It is commonly used in the following products that are a quintessential part of our everyday activities:
- Personal Care Products ( creams, lotion )
- Ice cream
Why Should we take Palm Oil into consideration?
- Many processed foods either contain palm oil or various ingredients derived from it.
- According to reports published in 2010 by the Journal of the American College of Nutrition palm oil is an accepted replacement for hydrogenated vegetable oils and a natural replacement for partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which are a significant source of trans fats.
- A 2009 study tested the emission rates of acrolein, a toxic and malodorous breakdown product from glycerol, from the deep-frying of potatoes in red palm, olive, and polyunsaturated sunflower oils. The study found higher acrolein emission rates from the polyunsaturated sunflower oil and lower rates from both palm and olive oils.
- It’s nutritionally balanced with high levels of carotenoids, Vitamin E tocotrienols and water-soluble powerful antioxidants, phenolic acids and flavonoids.
- Where coconut oil has around 90% MCFA’s (fat your body can easily burn for energy) palm oil only contains around 50% MCFA’s.
- The health benefits of palm oil include reduced risk of a variety of disease processes including Alzheimer’s disease, Cancer, Cataracts, Cognitive Impairment and Hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels)
There are a lot of negative notions around Palm oil, some of these facts and benefits are eye opener’s to the good in it. Some of the negative perceptions are just myths and it is up to us to get the facts right and decide on how good or bad the palm oil actually is. To help understand more on the facts and the work done by MPOC, refer to the below links.
- Website : http://www.mpoc.org.in/
- Twitter: @thinkpalmoil
- Facebook: http ://bit.ly/MPOCIndiaFB
- Instagram: instagram.com/thinkpalmoil
Bangalore MPOC Event : how I had and experience @ Taj Vivanta